Nikon D300s is a digital SLR with a 12.3-megapixel sensor. It is slightly faster frame rate, and HD Video capture capability. D300s sensitivity could be extended as high as ISO 6,400 equivalent. The feature set was robust enough not only to serve the enthusiastic amateur photographer, but also to prove attractive to pros looking for an extra camera body. It weighs about 1.85 pounds (840g) and only a half an ounce (15g). See the full design of Nikon D300s, and amaze, click here.
Nikon D300s movies are captured as Motion JPEG compressed AVI files, with a frame rate of 24 frames per second. At the full movie-mode resolution of 1,280 x 720 pixels, the Nikon D300s can capture clips as long as five minutes. At a reduced resolution of either 640 x 424 or 320 x 216 pixels, the clip length is limited to a maximum of twenty minutes. Maximum movie file size is 2GB, but may be limited by recording time. The D300s offers the ability to connect an external microphone, courtesy of a 3.5mm stereo input jack located under the rubber flap on the camera’s left side. The Nikon D300s microphone amplifier has adjustable sensitivity (3 levels), along with Auto and Off settings.
Here is a summary of Nikon D300s Review of a satisfied customer:
The Camera of My Dreams (But know what you’re buying)
Hello everybody, My name is Daniel and I am about as serious as you can be and still be considered “amateur”. I have been taking photos on SLR’s since I was 10 years old on an old film Minolta and I bought my first DSLR (a Nikon D50) and since then I have owned everything from a base line Canon XSi all the way up to the the best camera I have ever handled… the D300s. I have operated the D3, D3s, D3x and the top of the line professional $10k Canons, and this is still my favorite ALL AROUND camera. So here is the break down to why I love this camera and I will give you a list of pros and cons. I love this camera for many reasons… [...]… not many people can justify spending another $4,000 (2-3 times the money) when they are looking to spend around $1,500- $2,000 for a good DSLR. 1. if you are into sports the D300s has a higher continuous frame rate than other models including the ever so popular full frame D700.
The Nikon D300s retains the same 51-point Multi-CAM 3500DX phase detection autofocus sensor module. Also, Nikon D300s gains a new Quiet Shutter release mode, which separates firing of the shutter from advance of the shutter mechanism to reduce the noise level generated during shutter release. The D300s uses the same EN-EL3e battery. It is CIPA rated at 950 shots on a single charge. The optional MB-D10 Multi-Power Battery Pack adds about one frame per second. It takes Nikon D300s to 8 fps. It also allows a battery to be kept in the camera body to supplement the battery grip’s input.
Nikon D300s has the following great and exciting features and specifications:
- 1280 x 720p HD video recording at 24 fps
- Built-in mono microphone with adjustable gain
- External 3.5mm stereo mic jack
- Contrast-detect AF during videos
- 7 fps vs 6 fps top burst speed (8 fps for both with battery grip)
- Slightly faster AF performance
- Dual CF Type I and SD card slots vs single CF Type I/II
- Wider built-in flash coverage (16mm vs 18mm)
- Dedicated Live View button
- Dedicated Info button
- Multi-selector center button
- Quiet shutter release mode
- Sliding memory card door vs locking swing type
Nikon D300s has the following Pros and cons:
- AF fine-tuning for up to 12 lenses
- Dedicated Live View button
- Two Live View modes for framing with LCD
- Quiet shutter-release mode
- Large, bright optical viewfinder, with nearly 100% frame coverage
- On-demand framing grid
- Adjustable high-ISO noise reduction
- Rolling shutter effect fairly visible in video recordings
- Must set aperture for video recording before entering Live View mode
- Can’t set ISO or shutter speed manually for video recording
The Nikon D300s brings the enthusiast flagship up to the standards of more recent Nikon models. D300s continues to serve as an excellent photographic tool, one now capable of video as well. Nikon D300s is fast and available at camera’s 12-bit setting. Click here for more Nikon D300s enticing features.